Woman injured in rollover crashJanuary 09,2013Woman injured in rollover crash
BENNINGTON — A local woman was injured in a one-vehicle rollover crash on Fairview Street near the Silk Road intersection around 11 a.m. on Tuesday, according to Lt. Lloyd Dean of the Bennington Police Department.
Karen Halvorsen, 55, of Bennington, was driving west on Fairview Street toward North Bennington when she lost control of her 1998 Nissan Altima while attempting to negotiate a curve in the road, Dean said.
The car began to fishtail and its right front corner struck an earthen embankment, causing it to flip onto its roof in the westbound lane of Fairview Street.
When police arrived, Halvorsen was out of the car and members of the Bennington Rescue Squad were providing care. Halvorsen was taken to the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, where she was treated for minor injuries and released.
Police were also assisted by the Bennington Rural Fire Department.
The crash is still under investigation, Dean said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.