GMP awards tree-trimming contract to Penn. companyStaff Report | January 10,2013Green Mountain Power Corp. has awarded a statewide tree trimming contract to Asplundh, a Pennsylvania-based company. The three-year contract, which accounts for half of GMP’s tree-related work, could mean a loss of work for local tree companies that worked for the former Central Vermont Public Service Corp.
GMP spokeswoman Dorothy Schnure said Thursday the contract with Asplundh will save ratepayers $500,000 a year. She also said companies that lost out on the tree-trimming bid will still be able to bid on the remaining work, including transmission trimming, tree removal and capital construction work.
Schnure said Asplundh plans on hiring local tree trimmers.
For the full story, see Friday's Rutland Herald.MORE IN This Just InAn Andover woman walked away from her daughter's home sometime Tuesday morning. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.