Poultney man denies sugar house theftsJanuary 10,2013Man denies thefts
from sugar houses
A Poultney man charged with stealing thousands of dollars worth of maple sugar making equipment from producers around Rutland County appeared in Rutland criminal court this week for arraignment on six felony charges.
Bryan W. Parker, 29, pleaded innocent to six burglary charges for break-ins at sugar houses in the Rutland area last fall.
Parker, who appeared in court Monday on a citation, was released on conditions including requirements that he stay away from the properties and sugar makers he is charged with stealing from.
If convicted of all six counts, Parker would face a maximum of 75 years in jail.
Vermont State Police arrested Parker last month after receiving help from local maple syrup producers who contacted a syrup-making supply store in New Hampshire where Parker allegedly brought some of the stolen items to exchange for newer parts.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.