BURLINGTON — A Vermont man has pleaded guilty to persuading a 12-year-old girl to take nude photos of herself and send the images to his cellphone.
The U.S. Attorney’s office says 26-year-old Richard Fletcher of Sheffield pleaded guilty to producing, receiving and possessing child pornography in federal court Wednesday.
Fletcher admitted that in 2011 he persuaded the girl in Utah to take the photos and send him the images.
Fletcher and the girl never met face-to-face. Prosecutors said he met her on a social media website, obtained her cellphone number, and began calling and texting her. They said he pressed for the photos after persuading the girl that he loved her and wanted her to be his girlfriend.
Fletcher is scheduled to be sentenced on April 22.MORE IN Vermont NewsLUDLOW — Seventy-five years ago, the government cut 65-year-old Ida May Fuller a check. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: On Jan. 31, 2002, Berkshire Armored Car Co. in Rutland's Howe Center was robbed of $1.9 million. Brent Curtis reports some of the surprising details he found in 10 years of FBI investigation files in a 5-part Herald series.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.