Service day planned for MLKJanuary 16,2013Local organizations will honor Martin Luther King Jr. with a day of community service throughout Rutland on Jan 21.
Volunteers will assist in nutritional education, stalking awareness, food collection, lessons on equality, financial literacy, as well as cleanup projects.
Rutlandís VISTA AmeriCorps group, Rutlandís interfaith clergy association, and 32 AmeriCorps members serving with the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board will assist around the city.
Community members are invited to join the volunteers, who will gather at 7:30 a.m. at Grace Church for a pancake breakfast. Donations of $5, or a food item for the Rutland Community Cupboard are suggested.
Projects are expected to end at 4 p.m. and there will be a reflection of the dayís services at the Grace Church at 4:30 p.m.
Service sites around the city are United Methodist Church, the Womenís Shelter, the Rutland Community Cupboard, the Vermont Achievement Center, Grace Church, the Boys and Girls Club, Mentor Connector, Dismas House and the Vermont Farmers Food Center.
For those interested, contact Melissa Schlobohm at Melissa@vhcb.org.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.