Vermont's unemployment rate dips a bitJanuary 18,2013Vermont's seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate for December dipped one-tenth of a percent from the prior month to 5.1 percent, the state Department of Labor reported Friday.
The national unemployment rate for December was 7.8 percent.
"The Vermont economy had a strong ending to 2012," Labor Commissioner Annie Noonan said in a statement. "The preliminary estimate of the annual 2012 unemployment rate is 5 percent, more than a full half of a percent lower than 2011."
Noonan said that the state gained 3,000 jobs last year.
She went on to say that while the "economic recovery, nationally and on the state level, has been slower than prior recessions" the 2012 data point to an improved economy.
"We are optimistic that economic growth will continue in Vermont as businesses and job seekers gain confidence," she said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.