Police: Woman charged in knife assaultJanuary 18,2013MANCHESTER — A Virgil Road woman was charged with a felony count of domestic assault on Thursday after police said she had charged another woman with a knife during an argument Tuesday even though a 2-year-old child was between her and the other woman.
Annette Crooks, 38, of Manchester, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court Thursday to a felony charge of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and a misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment.
In an affidavit, Cpl. James Blanchard of the Manchester Police Department said he had been called to a Virgil Road home on Tuesday around 5 p.m. Blanchard said he spoke with a woman who told him that Crooks had come after her with a knife during an argument.
The woman said her 2-year-old was between her and Crooks at the time. Blanchard said Crooks admitted to having the knife during the argument with the woman but denied the child was between them.Crooks said she was angry at the other woman because she made a comment to her about an abortion.
Crooks was released without bail Thursday.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.