Police: Woman charged in knife assaultJanuary 18,2013MANCHESTER — A Virgil Road woman was charged with a felony count of domestic assault on Thursday after police said she had charged another woman with a knife during an argument Tuesday even though a 2-year-old child was between her and the other woman.
Annette Crooks, 38, of Manchester, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court Thursday to a felony charge of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and a misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment.
In an affidavit, Cpl. James Blanchard of the Manchester Police Department said he had been called to a Virgil Road home on Tuesday around 5 p.m. Blanchard said he spoke with a woman who told him that Crooks had come after her with a knife during an argument.
The woman said her 2-year-old was between her and Crooks at the time. Blanchard said Crooks admitted to having the knife during the argument with the woman but denied the child was between them.Crooks said she was angry at the other woman because she made a comment to her about an abortion.
Crooks was released without bail Thursday.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.