American Eagle quits mallStaff Report | January 22,2013The Diamond Run Mall has lost another major retailer.
American Eagle Outfitters closed its store Monday after a dozen years at the mall.
“The mall has a low occupancy rate of 60 percent and per our current strategy plan, we seek to return great results to our shareholders and one of those ways is to re-evaluate our store footprint,” company spokeswoman Iris Yen said in an email. “We look at closing/moving stores in underperforming locations.”
The 19-year-old mall has seen a steady decline in business as one retailer after another has abandoned the area’s only indoor shopping center.
Mall owner, Gemini Real Estate Advisors, is surrendering ownership of the property to its major creditor, an investment trust.
Gemini purchased the mall in 2007 from Zamias Services, which was recently hired to oversee management of the 400,000 square-foot mall.
American Eagle operates two other stores in Vermont, one on Church Street in Burlington and one in the University Mall in South Burlington.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.