Man charged in brutal assaultJanuary 22,2013Man charged in brutal assault
HARTFORD — A Claremont, N.H. man will be arraigned today in criminal court in White River Junction for allegedly beating his girlfriend’s brother after an argument.
Wesley Vorhes, 47, was charged with aggravated assault on Sunday in the beating of Robert Schneider, 47, of White River Junction. The incident took place after a night of drinking on Jan. 13 at The Cave in Lebanon, N.H., according to police.
State Trooper Gary Salvatore said Schneider confronted Vorhes for being intimate with another woman at the bar. The two men argued and then left The Cave that evening, the trooper said.
Schneider and Vorhes pulled over on Interstate 89 and picked up where they left off and an altercation ensued where Vorhes knocked Schneider out unconscious, according to Salvatore.
Schneider injuries were a fractured nose, cheek bone, upper jaw and orbital eye socket fracture, Salvatore said. He also sustained severe nerve damage and will need reconstructive surgery, the trooper said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.