GMP warns of phone scam on customersStaff Report | January 24,2013Green Mountain Power on Thursday warned customers that several attempts to scam its commercial customers over the phone have been reported.
The caller claims to be representing Green Mountain Power and requests the customer pay their account balance by releasing credit card information to the caller or paying their bill by means of a money card or other alternate payment mechanism. The caller also represents that the customer would have electric service disconnected if they do not comply.
GMP follows very clear processes when working with customers about paying their bills and advises customers that it would not demand credit card information or alternate payment mechanisms from a customer for any purpose. This is clearly a phone scam, GMP said.
Any customer receiving such a call should not provide the caller with any personal information, including account and credit card numbers, and should immediately contact the Vermont State Police or their local law enforcement agency.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.