Spanos pleads innocent to second-degree murderStaff Report | January 24,2013A man accused in the crash that killed 17-year-old Carly Ferro in Rutland pleaded innocent today in Rutland criminal court to a charge of second-degree murder. Alex W. Spanos was ordered held without bail after entering the plea.
Spanos had been charged in September with manslaughter after the crash on Cleveland Avenue.
Prosecutors filed an amended charge of second-degree murder against Spanos earlier this year.
The murder charge carries a potential lifetime jail sentence with a minimum sentence of 20 years behind bars — a far greater penalty than the 15-year maximum he faced if convicted of manslaughter.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation