• Cashman fears A-Rodcould miss season
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS | January 26,2013
    • Email Article
    •  
    •  Print Article
     
    AP FILE PHOTO

    Alex Rodiguez of the New York Yankees underwent hip surgery last month and GM Brian Cashman said Friday there’s a chance he won’t be back at all this season.
    NEW YORK — Yankees general manager Brian Cashman says it’s possible third baseman Alex Rodriguez could miss the entire season while recovering from hip surgery.

    Cashman says “there’s no guarantees in this stuff” that Rodriguez will be able to play this year.

    The 37-year-old Rodriguez had surgery on his left hip last week. The team said the rehabilitation time was expected to be six months, which would sideline the star slugger until the All-Star break.

    On Friday, Cashman said it was possible A-Rod could be out all year.

    “Yeah,” Cashman told WFAN radio. “I think because (of) the serious nature of the surgery and the condition that he’s trying to recover from, you know, there is that chance.”

    “I can’t say it’s not possible that he won’t be back,” he said.

    The Yankees signed free agent Kevin Youkilis during the offseason to play third base while Rodriguez is out.

    Cashman said Rodriguez is doing everything “in his power to put himself in the position to get back and be healthy and productive.”

    “Best-case scenario, yeah he should be back,” Cashman said. “Worst case scenario, he won’t be back, or there might be something in between.”

    A 14-time All-Star, Rodriguez hit .272 with 18 home runs and 57 RBIs in 122 games last year. The three-time AL MVP was benched in three of nine postseason games and pinch hit for in three others, batting just .120 (3 for 25) with no RBIs in the playoffs.

    Rodriguez had surgery on Jan. 16 to repair a torn labrum and reshape a bone to alleviate an impingement. He has 647 career homers and is due $114 million over the next five years as part of his record $275 million, 10-year contract.

    NOTES: RHP David Robertson and the Yankees reached a one-year deal, avoiding arbitration. The reliever had asked for $3.55 million and the team offered $2.85 million.
    • Email Article
    •  
    •  Print Article
    2 Comments
    MORE IN Wire Sports
    OXON HILL, Md. — Wade Davis already had closed out a World Series. Full Story
    Cubs get closer Wade Davis from Royals for Jorge Soler
    BOSTON — New Boston Red Sox pitcher Chris Sale said he isn’t worried that he might not be the ace... Full Story
    Sale says he’ll embrace his role on staff of No. 1 starters
    More Articles
  •