Sanders opposes state moratorium on big windThe Associated Press | January 28,2013BURLINGTON — Supporters of a call for a three-year moratorium on wind power projects in the Vermont say the solution to global warming is to reduce the use of fossil fuels, not build industrial-scale wind projects on the state’s ridgelines.
The group that calls itself Ridgeprotectors issued a statement Monday after U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders urged Vermont lawmakers not to impose the moratorium.
Sanders says that if Vermont ceases new wind development, the message will out across the country that even in Vermont, there is not a serious commitment to combating global warming.
Ridgeprotectors say the proposed moratorium is intended as a thoughtful, bi-partisan it is a time to design a strategy for reducing emissions at their sources.
Two Vermont senators have proposed a three-year wind moratorium.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.