Despina N. LourasJanuary 29,2013Despina N. Louras
Despina N. Louras, 91, of Rutland, died Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013, at Mountain View Center.
She was born in Rutland Oct. 31, 1921, the daughter of Nicholas and Amalia (Alexandrides) Louras.
Ms. Louras was owner of Brandon Cash Market from 1955 to 1991 and was employed at Initial Ideas from 1991 until retiring in 2007.
Survivors include her son, Peter Louras; a granddaughter; four siblings, Antoinette Candello, Marie Frisch, Gus and Nicholas Louras; nieces and nephews.
She was predeceased by three sisters, Maria Louras, Kuriakoula Carigan, Georgia Bartlett, and a brother, Peter Louras.
There are no calling hours.
A private funeral and burial will be held at a later date.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, PO Box 939, Rutland, VT 05702.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Clifford Funeral Home in Rutland.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.