Vt. man denies horse cruelty chargeThe Associated Press | January 29,2013SHELBURNE - A Shelburne man has pleaded not guilty to one count of animal cruelty after three horses were seized from his home.
Sixty-three-year-old George Wilson, a former newsman at WCAX-TV in South Burlington, says authorities overreacted and he plans to contest the charge.
A stallion and two mares are being cared for at Spring Hill Horse Rescue in Clarendon after officials said the horses were found in small, dark stalls, standing in manure and surrounded by the remains of deceased horses.
A judge on Tuesday dropped a charge against Wilson's wife, 64-four-year-old Ann Gilbreth, saying he could not find probable cause because the police affidavit did not show that she also owned the horses.MORE IN This Just InBig movie day at Town Hall Theater Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.