Woman dies after crashing into SUV; car caught fireJanuary 29,2013JAMAICA — Authorities say a car skidded across a snow-covered southern Vermont road and crashed into a large SUV before catching on fire, killing a woman.
State police say the collision happened Monday afternoon in the town of Jamaica.
A preliminary investigation shows that a car was traveling southbound on Route 30 when the female driver lost control and the vehicle skidded across the road. It crashed into a northbound SUV driven by 48-year-old Gavin Scotti, of Greenwich, Conn.
Authorities say the car caught on fire shortly after the crash, and the driver was pronounced dead at the scene. Her name is being withheld until family can be notified.
Scotti and his 14-year-old passenger were taken to a hospital to be treated for minor injuries.
Police are investigating the crash.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.