Good deed is punishedFebruary 02,2013Staff Report
LONDONDERRY — A good Samaritan, who stopped to give someone a ride Wednesday night in Londonderry, had her car stolen by the hitchhiker.
Vermont State Police said that Stacey Bonang, 45, of Weston, picked up a woman hitchhiker on Route 11, near the Mill Restaurant in Londonderry. Bonang gave the woman a ride to the Londonderry Plaza, and Bonang left the woman alone in her vehicle when the woman requested to make a private phone call.
“At this point, the female locked the doors and drove off,” the police report stated. Bonang’s vehicle, a maroon 2012 Subaru Forester with Vermont registration FSH112, was later found Thursday morning crashed into a tree on Route 100 in Weston, near Piper Hill Road.
Bonang reported her car stolen at 8:40 p.m.
The hitchhiker was described as 5 foot, 5 inches tall, with a slender build, wearing a black jacket and dark hair tucked up into a hat. The woman was wearing jeans and boots, with the jeans tucked into the boots. The hitchhiker was wearing glasses.
Anyone with information about the unknown woman is asked to call the Vermont State Police, Rockingham barracks, at (802)-875-2112.
Police reminded motorists that picking up hitchhikers, although a kind gesture, can be a dangerous activity. Police recommended that people not pick up hitchhikers, or if they do, use extreme caution.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.