@$ID/NormalParagraphStyle:In Vermont, our teachers, our school administrators and our municipal employees do not have to join a union if they so choose. There are many of these workers who have decided that they didn’t need to join a union. On Feb. 1, our esteemed Vermont Senate passed a bill that will require all of these people to join a union.
Presently, people who are not in a union, still have their pay and working conditions negotiated by their unions. This bill also requires them to pay 85 percent of what union members pay in dues whether they want a union or not.
There were 29 senators out of 30 present for this vote. The vote score of this bill was 26-3. The three Windsor County senators voted for this legislation. Did freedom of our own lives and workplace get discussed? I doubt it. This is all politics and about re-election. Follow the performance of our senators this year. The majority in both the House and Senate can pass anything they want.
PerkinsvilleMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.