The delegates of the Windsor County district will meet to select and forwardto Gov. Shumlin the names of individuals it recommends to fill the office of Windsor County state’s attorney.
Bobby Sand, the current state’s attorney for Windsor County, has been appointed by Gov. Shumlin to serve as a coordinator to introduce alternative sentencing programs across Vermont for repeat drunken driving offenders.
There are two announced candidates at this time. David Cahill, Windsor County deputy state’s attorney, and Michael Kainen, Orange County deputy state’s attorney.
This is an important function, as provided in Vermont statutes, of the CountyDemocratic Committee. Its delegates will meet Feb. 11, at Damon Hall, Hartland, 7 p.m. It is in an advisory capacity only. The governor will make the final choice. Only the delegates to the Windsor County Democratic Committee are eligible to vote at this meeting. However, everyone is invited to attend.
SpringfieldMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.