Sheriff's son in gun theft case jailedStaff Report | February 05,2013The son of a member of the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department who was charged last month with stealing his father’s gun is behind bars after allegedly returning home Friday night with a handful of heroin.
Jaron Wilk, 24, of Clarendon, pleaded innocent Monday in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge of possession and misdemeanor charge of violating the conditions of his release.
Wilk was on release after pleading innocent Jan. 22 in Rutland criminal court to charges of burglary and grand larceny after allegedly robbing his parents’ Clarendon home, stealing cash, checks and a .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic firearm belonging to his father, Frank Wilk Jr., a lieutenant with the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department.
Jaron Wilk’s conditions of release required him to maintain an evening curfew at his parents’ home and to not be arrested again. But, according to an affidavit filed with the court, Friday night, police received an anonymous tip that Wilk was not at home, and when police responded to the residence on East Clarendon Road they followed Wilk as he turned into his driveway.
While police questioned Wilk, they watched him throw a small object, which police recovered from a nearby tree and found to be five bags of heroin wrapped in an elastic band, records state.
Judge Nancy Corsones rejected a request from Wilk’s attorney for a 24-hour curfew, and instead imposed $15,000 bail.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Sigisimund, king of Hungary, creates Order of the Dragon to defend the West against Ottoman Turks; Chong Ho escorts 300 virgins to China; J. Bruce Ismay born this day, built Titanic, gets free trip, does not go down with the ship.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Storm takes out power for 60,000 Vermonters; state gets $33M to fund pre-K education; Springfield board OKs fund to demolish blighted buildings, voters have final say; George Nostrand runs down coming events.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1041, adopted son of Empress Zoe Porphyrogenita of Byzantium succeeds to throne of Eastern Roman Empire; in 1907, English medical students riot over anti-vivisection statue of little brown dog in Battersea, London.