Third candidate joins Vt adjutant general raceThe Associated Press | February 06,2013MONTPELIER — Another candidate has joined the race to become the next adjutant general of the Vermont National Guard.
Retired Col. Michael J. Bullock, of Hinesburg, says he has the right background for what the job demands.
Bullock said he is a retired Special Forces, Airborne, Ranger and Basic Mountaineering Infantry officer who currently serves as a civilian senior training adviser.
He volunteered to come out of retirement in 2010 to deploy to Afghanistan, the Burlington Free Press reported. Because of that deployment, he said, he knows the challenges the Guard faces.
“I know what changes need and should be made to help them,” he said. “I know the programs designed to assist them and how those programs can improve. I want to be their voice in Vermont and in Washington.”
His announcement comes a week after former Army Guard Brig. Gen. Jonathan Farnham withdrew from the race. Bullock joins Air Guard Brig. Gen. Steven Cray, of Essex Junction, and Col. Darryl Ducharme on the ballot.
The Legislature will choose the next adjutant general Feb. 21. The position is open because former Adjutant Gen. Michael Dubie stepped down to take a new job. Maj. Gen. Thomas Drew replaced Dubie temporarily but will not be running in the election.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Vermont kept its No. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.