Arrest made in smash-and-grabFebruary 06,2013Rutland Police say they have made an arrest in one of the smash-and-grab type thefts that have occurred recently in the city’s downtown.
Police said Tuesday they charged Shawn M. Ritchie, 39, of Rutland, with unlawful mischief and petty larceny for allegedly breaking into a car parked outside the American Legion on Washington Street.
Ritchie was cited to appear in Rutland criminal court next week, police said.
Police say they have received a handful of complaints during the last week from people whose locked vehicles have been broken into downtown. Purses and electronics devices have been reported stolen.
Ritchie is charged with only one of those thefts but police say the other cases remain under investigation.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!