ST. ALBANS — The St. Albans police department says a homeless man was found dead after fire destroyed a small hut on the edge of the Vermont city.
An autopsy is being conducted on the body of 54-year-old Richard Poquette to determine the cause of death, but police say the body had severe burns when it was found late Tuesday afternoon and indications are it was an accidental fire death, which may have been started by a burning candle.
Police were called to a wooded area, about 100 yards from North Main Street, at about 4:10 p.m. Thursday after a caller reported finding a body. Poquette’s body was found outside the hut, which had been destroyed by fire and was still smoldering.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Business leaders, pols and others joined Tuesday at the State House to highlight... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation