$340 million worth
of cocaine seized
MADRID — Spanish police have seized 4.5 tons of cocaine with an estimated street value of $340 million — the biggest confiscation of the drug arriving to the nation since 2001.
The Civil Guard said Wednesday the drugs were at a warehouse in the eastern city of Elche. Three Spaniards running a front company from the location were arrested.
The company imported leather from Colombia, and Civil Guard said cocaine was inside six shipping containers of leather that arrived Feb. 1.
The drugs were destined for distribution in Spain and Europe. Police raided 16 places linked to those arrested, seizing weapons that were not described and six luxury vehicles.MORE IN Wire NewsWASHINGTON — Nine current students, faculty and staff members can argue against the proposed... Full StoryWASHINGTON — Bleeding from both legs and his arm, Ryan Pitts kept firing at about 200 Taliban... Full StoryAUSTIN, Texas — Gov. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.