Vermont 63, UNH 48
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BURLINGTON — Luke Apfeld scored 16 points and Vermont jumped on New Hampshire early en route to a 63-48 win over the Wildcats Wednesday night in an America East game.
The Catamounts (15-7, 8-2), last year’s A-East champions, stormed to a 34-16 halftime lead over New Hampshire (7-15, 2-7) and coasted home. This was much easier than Vermont’s 64-51 win at New Hampshire on Jan. 2.
Apfeld, whose 16 points included two 3-pointers, helped the Catamounts build a 27-8 lead. He got help from Clancy Rugg, who also hit two treys, and Ethan O’Day. They scored 13 and 10 points, respectively. Bryan Voelkel grabbed 14 rebounds.
The Wildcats hurt themselves from 3-point range. They made just 3 of 14 treys, all three from Scott Morris in five attempts. Vermont was 7 of 22 from long range.
Patrick Konan led New Hampshire with 15 points, shooting 7 for 15 from the field.MORE IN Wire SportsNEW YORK — Shane Greene had little trouble finding the plate. Throwing to first was his problem. Full StoryTORONTO — Drew Hutchison breezed through his first inning against the Boston Red Sox on Monday... Full StoryLOS ANGELES — The chief financial officer of Donald Sterling’s properties said Monday that the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.