Vermont 63, UNH 48
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BURLINGTON — Luke Apfeld scored 16 points and Vermont jumped on New Hampshire early en route to a 63-48 win over the Wildcats Wednesday night in an America East game.
The Catamounts (15-7, 8-2), last year’s A-East champions, stormed to a 34-16 halftime lead over New Hampshire (7-15, 2-7) and coasted home. This was much easier than Vermont’s 64-51 win at New Hampshire on Jan. 2.
Apfeld, whose 16 points included two 3-pointers, helped the Catamounts build a 27-8 lead. He got help from Clancy Rugg, who also hit two treys, and Ethan O’Day. They scored 13 and 10 points, respectively. Bryan Voelkel grabbed 14 rebounds.
The Wildcats hurt themselves from 3-point range. They made just 3 of 14 treys, all three from Scott Morris in five attempts. Vermont was 7 of 22 from long range.
Patrick Konan led New Hampshire with 15 points, shooting 7 for 15 from the field.MORE IN Wire Sports
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.