Vermont 63, UNH 48
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BURLINGTON — Luke Apfeld scored 16 points and Vermont jumped on New Hampshire early en route to a 63-48 win over the Wildcats Wednesday night in an America East game.
The Catamounts (15-7, 8-2), last year’s A-East champions, stormed to a 34-16 halftime lead over New Hampshire (7-15, 2-7) and coasted home. This was much easier than Vermont’s 64-51 win at New Hampshire on Jan. 2.
Apfeld, whose 16 points included two 3-pointers, helped the Catamounts build a 27-8 lead. He got help from Clancy Rugg, who also hit two treys, and Ethan O’Day. They scored 13 and 10 points, respectively. Bryan Voelkel grabbed 14 rebounds.
The Wildcats hurt themselves from 3-point range. They made just 3 of 14 treys, all three from Scott Morris in five attempts. Vermont was 7 of 22 from long range.
Patrick Konan led New Hampshire with 15 points, shooting 7 for 15 from the field.MORE IN Wire SportsAKRON, Ohio — Tiger Woods finds out over the next two weeks if his season is over or just getting... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.