Police probe death in Springfield Hospital parking lotStaff Report | February 08,2013SPRINGFIELD – Springfield police are investigating the death of a 75-year-old Springfield man who was found dead in his car outside the emergency room at Springfield Hospital on Thursday morning.
Police say Ernest Thomas Hemmings was discovered by hospital personnel, who noticed him in his car outside the emergency room.
Springfield Police Chief Douglas Johnston said that Hemmings' death does not appear suspicious at this time, but police were conducting an investigation into his death. The chief said he did not know how long Hemmings had been parked at the hospital, or whether Hemmings had been at the hospital.
A spokesman for Springfield Hospital did not immediately return a call for comment about the death.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.