Norwich solves Castleton 6-1By TOM HERZIG
CORRESPONDENT | February 09,2013NORTHFIELD - Norwich spotted Castleton State a shorthanded goal and then
scored six unanswered goals to record their 19th victory and improve
their ECAC East record to 14-1 on Friday night.
Castleton's leading scorer, Josh Harris, broke in for the shorthanded
goal, his 14th at 5:07, after Norwich misplayed the puck up top on the
The Cadets' first shot on goal came at 7:00. Two minutes later, Erik
Lyrvall tested Spartan goalie Erick Cinotti and two minutes after that,
Kyle Thomas tied the game 1-all.
Blake Forkey's shot from the left circle bounced off Cinotti's blocker
and dropped at Thomas' feet as he was passing across the top of the
crease - one sweep of the stick and Thomas had his ninth goal of the
season. Chris Duszynski and Forkey were credited with assists.
Norwich took the lead on a memorable scoring play that began by Colin
Mulvey's effort to keep a loose puck alive. He was rewarded seconds
later when Tory Allan held the puck while swerving out to the top of the
slot and feeding back across the grain for Mulvey's team-leading 16th
goal at 15:48 of the second period.
Dean Niezgoda struck next for Norwich at 13:56. The , Mass., picked the
puck out of a four-man pile-up in front of the net and flipped it in.
Shane Gorman and captain Pier-Olivier Cotnoir, making his return after
missing seven games with a shoulder injury, drew the assists.
Niezgoda was pleased to have Cotnoir on his line. "That was great. I'm
all for that," he said. "We wanted to build off Thomas' goal. They were
coming at us real hard in that first period and that's tough to do for a
Norwich upped the pressure and contested loose pucks harder as the game
wore on. The Cadets had power plays which weren't productive, but kept
Forkey, a senior, scored the fourth goal off a rebound of Duszynski's
wraparound attempt at 6:41 of the third period. Forkey had two swipes at
the puck and Cinotti went down on the first one.
Niezgoda and Cotnoir set up a goal for Shane Gorman at 7:43. Norwich
goalie Chris Czarnota (14 saves) stopped Spartan Ross Herzog's
close-range shot just as the Cadets' fourth power play ended.
Kyle Thomas finished the scoring off a pinpoint, two-line pass from
Gorman in the final minute.
"That first goal woke us up," Thomas said. "We want to start playing
"They checked us hard and we were a little sloppy and did some watching
and waiting in the first period," Cadets coach Mike McShane said. "We
had more discipline as the game went on. I think the third goal was a
big goal for us. Tomorrow's a totally different day. It's tough to win
back-to-back games with a quick turnaround. I'm sure Skidmore will come
The Cadets and Thoroughbreds will face off here at Kreitzberg Arena
Saturday at 4 p.m.
Norwich will begin the day with a 19-2 record overall. Castleton State
now stands at 13-8-2 and 8-7-1 in the ECAC East.MORE IN This Just InTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America! 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full StoryRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads astronomic, historic and epigrammatic data... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.