Police: Footprints in snow lead to arrestStaff Report | February 09,2013Rutland Police say they followed footprints from a convenience store robbery to a man they arrested shoveling snow outside a home on Clover Street early Saturday morning.
At 3:15 a.m., police responded to a burglary alarm at the Midway Mobil on South Main Street where evidence showed that someone had smashed out a window with a crowbar, police said.
Numerous cartons of cigarettes were taken during the break-in, police said.
With new snow blanketing the ground, police said they followed a set of tracks across South Main Street to Clover Street where the tracks ended at a driveway being shoveled by 42-year-old Dean Hugerth.
While Hugerth lives in Rutland, the people residing inside the home told police he didn’t live there. Review of surveillance camera footage inside the store showed Hugerth breaking in and taking the cartons, police added.
Hugerth was taken to the Rutland jail where he remains held on bail pending his arraignment Monday on a felony burglary charge, police said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.