Vt. solar array is up in PownalFebruary 09,2013Solar array up at
former race track
POWNAL — A solar array is up and running at the site of a former Vermont race track.
The array is at what’s now known as the Southern Vermont Energy Park in Pownal. It used to the Green Mountain Race Track, which shut down in 1992.
The 144-acre site was bought in 2006 for $1 million by Progress Partners. The solar facility is owned by Gestamp Renewables.
The Bennington Banner reports the project is enrolled in the state’s Sustainably Priced Energy Enterprise Development (SPEED) program, which offers above-market rates to renewable energy projects. The array is capable of producing up to 2.2 megawatts of power at maximum.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.