Vt. solar array is up in PownalFebruary 09,2013Solar array up at
former race track
POWNAL — A solar array is up and running at the site of a former Vermont race track.
The array is at what’s now known as the Southern Vermont Energy Park in Pownal. It used to the Green Mountain Race Track, which shut down in 1992.
The 144-acre site was bought in 2006 for $1 million by Progress Partners. The solar facility is owned by Gestamp Renewables.
The Bennington Banner reports the project is enrolled in the state’s Sustainably Priced Energy Enterprise Development (SPEED) program, which offers above-market rates to renewable energy projects. The array is capable of producing up to 2.2 megawatts of power at maximum.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: A brief midsummer return of last winter’s stubborn cold air mass descends over the Northern Plains, Midwest and Northeast this week bringing colder than seasonable daytime temperatures.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Founding father and 2nd president John Adams signs Sedition Act on this day in 1798 providing jail time for criticizing the government; Benjamin Franklin's grandson and namesake dies in jail, for satirizing the president.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.