PAVE hosts anti-bullying workshopFebruary 09,2013Feb. 26 workshop
will tackle bullying
BENNINGTON — Project Against Violent Encounters will host a presentation, “Helping My Child Stop the Bullies,” on Feb. 26 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Molly Stark Elementary School.
Parents are encouraged to bring their school-aged children.
The presentation will deal with questions like: What should a student do when someone picks on him or her, or starts rumors, or never lets the student join a group? Is it really bullying if there is no physical contact?
Steve Breakstone, PAVE Youth Educator and author of the book, “How to Stop Bullying and Social Aggression,” said the goal of the workshop is to help understand and reduce bullying, cyber-bullying and social aggression.
“Social aggression, (which includes) silent treatment, targeting social status, rumor spreading and ‘do or don’t do this or I won’t be your friend’ is just as painful as physical bullying; sometimes more painful and often more common,” Breakstone said.
Parents will discover appropriate responses and find out how they can help their children respond immediately.
The workshop will involve role-playing and group activities.
“Practice is an essential element if a parent is to be secure in knowing they will be able to help their child deal with a bully or social aggressor,” said Breakstone.
For further information, call Breakstone at 734-5285 or email him at PaveYouthEducator@gmail.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.