Former Vt. treasurer gets 18 months for embezzlingThe Associated Press | February 12,2013BRATTLEBORO - A Vermont woman has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for embezzling more than $80,000 from the Algiers Fire District.
Federal prosecutors say 52-year-old Sherry Roebuck of Guilford worked as a treasurer for the district between 2007 and 2011.
Roebuck was accused of writing checks to herself and cashing them at local banks. Prosecutors say the embezzlement was discovered in March 2011, shortly after she resigned.
A jury found her guilty.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that as part of her sentence, Roebuck has to pay the money backMORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation