Former Vt. treasurer gets 18 months for embezzlingFebruary 13,2013Woman gets prison for embezzlement
BRATTLEBORO — A Vermont woman has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for embezzling more than $80,000 from the Algiers Fire District.
Federal prosecutors say 52-year-old Sherry Roebuck of Guilford worked as a treasurer for the district between 2007 and 2011.
Roebuck was accused of writing checks to herself and cashing them at local banks. Prosecutors say the embezzlement was discovered in March 2011, shortly after she resigned.
A jury found her guilty.
The Brattleboro Reformer reports as part of her sentence, Roebuck has to pay the money back.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?