Volunteers sought for marathon in MayFebruary 15,2013Volunteers sought for May marathon
BENNINGTON — The third annual Shires of Vermont Marathon, a classic point-to-point 26.2 mile road race connecting the towns of Bennington and Manchester, will be held May 19. Registration is now open.
The race is organized by the Batten Kill Valley Runners to benefit community mental health and developmental services. Organizers expect between 400 and 600 runners from about 30 different states and foreign countries this year.
The course will be the same as it was in 2012, starting at the Bennington Center for the Arts and finishing at Hildene Meadows in Manchester. There will be several new twists and surprises for runners along the way, including an earlier start time at 8 a.m.
Anyone interested in helping with the marathon may join the organizing committee which meets monthly. Race director Robert Pini said some key spots are open.
“Anyone who wants to know the inside scoop on large event management should get involved,” he said.
For information on registering, volunteering or sponsoring the race, contact Pini by email at info@ShiresofVermontMarathon.com or by phone at 442-5491, ext. 281.
Race applications and online registration are available at www.shiresofvermontmarathon.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.