C. Hope ShannonFebruary 19,2013
C. Hope ShannonC. Hope Shannon
PROCTOR — Constance Hope Adams Shannon, 99, formerly of Proctor, Vt., passed away peacefully on Saturday, February 16, 2013, at NHC HealthCare in Johnson City, Tenn. She had resided at Colonial Hill Retirement Center for the past 20 years.
Hope was born on August 19, 1913, in Pittsford, Vt., the daughter of Thomas E. and Constance Gulick
Hope graduated from Pittsford High School and from Castleton State College in Vermont. She spent the next 28 years teaching in Pittsford, Vt., Proctor, Vt., and Westfield, N.J.
She married William B. Shannon, also of Pittsford, on September 30, 1943, in Hartford, Conn.
Hope was a member of the Rutland County Retired Teachers Association and the Pittsford Historical Society.
She was predeceased by her husband, William B. Shannon, in 1988; a sister, Jean Adams Shannon; and a brother, Thomas Hervey Adams.
Survivors include a daughter and son-in-law, Susan A. and Leon F. LeBlanc of Johnson City, Tenn.; a granddaughter, Jennifer A. Dier and husband Andrew Dier of Viera, Fla.; a grandson, Jeffrey F. LeBlanc and wife Heather of Johnson City, Tenn.; five great-grandchildren, Emily and Samantha Dier, Allie, Haley and Zachery LeBlanc; a great-great-grandson, Carter William Dier; also several nieces, nephews and cousins.
A memorial service in Vermont will be scheduled and announced at a later date.
In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to the Pittsford Historical Society, PO Box 423, Pittsford, VT 05763; or the Pittsford Congregational Church, Pittsford, VT 05763.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.