Vermont officials surprised by NC shooting suspectThe Associated Press | February 20,2013MONTPELIER — Vermont corrections officials say they're surprised by the charges against a Randolph man who allegedly shot a North Carolina state trooper four times.
Twenty-three-old Mikel Edward Brady was arrested Tuesday in Durham on charges of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill Trooper Michael Potts.
The 42-year-old trooper was shot four times Monday. He is recovering from his wounds.
Brady's criminal record dates to 2007 and includes multiple convictions for burglary and grand larceny.
Before Monday's alleged shooting, the most recent charge against Brady was poaching deer.
Vermont Corrections Commissioner Andy Pallito says there was nothing in Brady's past “that would lead you to believe he was going to be pulled over on the side of the road and randomly shoot a cop four times.”
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.