Vermont officials surprised by NC shooting suspectThe Associated Press | February 20,2013MONTPELIER — Vermont corrections officials say they're surprised by the charges against a Randolph man who allegedly shot a North Carolina state trooper four times.
Twenty-three-old Mikel Edward Brady was arrested Tuesday in Durham on charges of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill Trooper Michael Potts.
The 42-year-old trooper was shot four times Monday. He is recovering from his wounds.
Brady's criminal record dates to 2007 and includes multiple convictions for burglary and grand larceny.
Before Monday's alleged shooting, the most recent charge against Brady was poaching deer.
Vermont Corrections Commissioner Andy Pallito says there was nothing in Brady's past “that would lead you to believe he was going to be pulled over on the side of the road and randomly shoot a cop four times.”MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.