Former college leader found dead after allegations of embezzlementFebruary 21,2013The former acting president of Southern Vermont College has killed himself after being accused of embezzling $400,000 from the school, police said Thursday.
Vermont State Police said James Beckwith was found dead in his home Wednesday by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Beckwith, the former chief financial officer and chief operating officer of the small liberal arts school, was accused of taking the money between October 2012 and January, depositing it into his personal account, and using $260,000 to pay down two mortgages on his South Londonderry home.
The U.S. Attorney's office said Thursday it filed a complaint alleging the home and account are forfeitable as proceeds of mail fraud and as property involved in money laundering.
When questioned about the matter, Beckwith resigned from the college Feb. 3.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.