to close school
A petition has been drafted for voters’ signatures to be submitted to the Castleton Hubbardton Union 42 School Board at their first regular meeting in March 2013.
The petition requests a special meeting for a vote to cease operating the Castleton Village School on Mechanic Street in Castleton at the end of the current school year. The property would be turned over to the town of Castleton.
Enrollment in the Castleton elementary schools has been declining for years, falling 3 percent last year and 4 percent this year. The budget for operating both schools has risen from $5.3 million to a projected amount of $5.8 million for the 2013-2014 school year. The savings to taxpayers in closing the Castleton Village School and accommodating all students at the Castleton Elementary School would be considerable.
Petitions are available for signature at the town offices and local businesses.
CastletonMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.