Dollar General Store gets land use permit in ChesterBy Christian Avard
Staff Writer | February 27,2013CHESTER — The District Environmental Commission approved a land use permit for a Dollar General Store in Chester today.
According to the ruling, the permit authorized the Zaremba Group of Lakewood, Ohio to build a 9,100 square-foot retail store on two lots consisting of 10 acres combined. The proposed site will be located at 319 South Main St. in Chester.
The Zaremba Group also obtained a conditional use permit from the development review board and now has the green light to go ahead with construction, pending an appeal from local opponents. Several residents and local business owners testified against a Dollar General Store proposal, arguing that the store does not meet the town plan criterion and will hurt the local economy.
It is unknown whether opponents will appeal the Act 250 decision. They must make a decision in 30 days according to the ruling.
Dollar General Store is a national retail chain with over 10,000 stores in 40 states. According to its website, the company makes more than $14.8 billion in sales a year and employs 90,000 employees.
Dollar General Store is "the largest retailers in selling top-quality brands by America manufacturers,” the website said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.