Pair deny stealing snowmobileMarch 01,2013Men deny
Two men denied charges this week of stealing a snowmobile from a dealership in Clarendon.
Jeremy C. Chadburn, 28, of Shrewsbury and Kelley E. Staples, 21, of Danby, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge each of grand larceny.
Vermont State Police say Staples was seen on video stealing a 2002 Polaris XCSP snowmobile from Dan Turco and Sons on North Shrewsbury Road last month.
In an interview with Staples, he allegedly admitted to stealing the $2,000 snowmobile, but said he did it as a favor for Chadburn who agreed to pay him $600 if he helped to steal and tow the machine away, according to police.
Chadburn denied any involvement in the crime. He told police that he traded Staples a motorcycle for the snowmobile and promptly returned it when the owner of the machine came to his home looking for it three days after it was stolen.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?