Man taken to hospital after house fireBy Lucia Suarez
Staff Writer | March 04,2013CLARENDON — Firefighters from Clarendon, Ira and West Rutland responded to a fire in a single-family home on Schoolhouse Hill Road late Monday afternoon.
Clarendon Fire Chief Norm Flanders said information on the cause of the fire was limited but it is believed to have started in the basement of the home.
“Most of the fire was in the basement and the upstairs bedroom,” Flanders said.
He said the home was probably not a total loss.
He said an elderly man was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center, but he did not know for what exactly. He said he believed it was smoke inhalation but was unsure.
No names were released and his condition was not available.
A Rutland County Sheriff’s Department deputy confirmed that resuscitation efforts were conducted on a man, but would not elaborate.
A fire investigator was called to determine the cause of the fire. No more information was available by press time.
According to Flanders, the West Rutland Fire Department was the first on the scene.
While at the scene, a Sheriff’s Department cruiser was damaged when it was struck by a West Rutland fire truck.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: 2nd president John Adams signs Sedition Act on this day in 1798 providing jail time for criticizing the government; Jerry Rubin, co-creator of the Yippies, American activist, political theorist, businessman, born this day in 1938. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads astronomic, historic and epigrammatic content... Full StoryTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: A brief midsummer return of last winter’s stubborn cold air mass descends over the Northern Plains, Midwest and Northeast this week bringing colder than seasonable daytime temperatures. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: A brief midsummer return of last winter’s stubborn cold air mass descends over the Northern Plains, Midwest and Northeast this week bringing colder than seasonable daytime temperatures.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Founding father and 2nd president John Adams signs Sedition Act on this day in 1798 providing jail time for criticizing the government; Benjamin Franklin's grandson and namesake dies in jail, for satirizing the president.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.