Man taken to hospital after house fireBy Lucia Suarez
Staff Writer | March 04,2013CLARENDON — Firefighters from Clarendon, Ira and West Rutland responded to a fire in a single-family home on Schoolhouse Hill Road late Monday afternoon.
Clarendon Fire Chief Norm Flanders said information on the cause of the fire was limited but it is believed to have started in the basement of the home.
“Most of the fire was in the basement and the upstairs bedroom,” Flanders said.
He said the home was probably not a total loss.
He said an elderly man was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center, but he did not know for what exactly. He said he believed it was smoke inhalation but was unsure.
No names were released and his condition was not available.
A Rutland County Sheriff’s Department deputy confirmed that resuscitation efforts were conducted on a man, but would not elaborate.
A fire investigator was called to determine the cause of the fire. No more information was available by press time.
According to Flanders, the West Rutland Fire Department was the first on the scene.
While at the scene, a Sheriff’s Department cruiser was damaged when it was struck by a West Rutland fire truck.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.