Man taken to hospital after house fireBy Lucia Suarez
Staff Writer | March 04,2013CLARENDON — Firefighters from Clarendon, Ira and West Rutland responded to a fire in a single-family home on Schoolhouse Hill Road late Monday afternoon.
Clarendon Fire Chief Norm Flanders said information on the cause of the fire was limited but it is believed to have started in the basement of the home.
“Most of the fire was in the basement and the upstairs bedroom,” Flanders said.
He said the home was probably not a total loss.
He said an elderly man was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center, but he did not know for what exactly. He said he believed it was smoke inhalation but was unsure.
No names were released and his condition was not available.
A Rutland County Sheriff’s Department deputy confirmed that resuscitation efforts were conducted on a man, but would not elaborate.
A fire investigator was called to determine the cause of the fire. No more information was available by press time.
According to Flanders, the West Rutland Fire Department was the first on the scene.
While at the scene, a Sheriff’s Department cruiser was damaged when it was struck by a West Rutland fire truck.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?