Man taken to hospital after house fireBy Lucia Suarez
Staff Writer | March 04,2013CLARENDON — Firefighters from Clarendon, Ira and West Rutland responded to a fire in a single-family home on Schoolhouse Hill Road late Monday afternoon.
Clarendon Fire Chief Norm Flanders said information on the cause of the fire was limited but it is believed to have started in the basement of the home.
“Most of the fire was in the basement and the upstairs bedroom,” Flanders said.
He said the home was probably not a total loss.
He said an elderly man was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center, but he did not know for what exactly. He said he believed it was smoke inhalation but was unsure.
No names were released and his condition was not available.
A Rutland County Sheriff’s Department deputy confirmed that resuscitation efforts were conducted on a man, but would not elaborate.
A fire investigator was called to determine the cause of the fire. No more information was available by press time.
According to Flanders, the West Rutland Fire Department was the first on the scene.
While at the scene, a Sheriff’s Department cruiser was damaged when it was struck by a West Rutland fire truck.MORE IN This Just InGarret Keizer, a contributing editor at Harperís magazine, had good reason for toiling a year as ... Full StoryMONTPELIER — Health care, economic development and the duties of the office are issues of... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.