Dayne, Tomlinson head College Hall of Fame ballotthe associated press | March 06,2013NEW YORK — Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne, the late Jerome Brown and LaDainian Tomlinson are on the final ballot for College Football Hall of Fame for the first time.
The National Football Foundation on Tuesday announced the 77 former players and five former coaches who will be considered for induction.
The ballot is distributed to the more than 12,000 NFF members and current Hall of Famers.
The votes are tabulated and submitted to the 14-member NFF’s honors court, which selects the class.
Dayne is the career rushing leader in major college football and won the Heisman for Wisconsin in 1999.
Tomlinson won the Doak Walker Award as the nation’s best running back in 2000 for TCU.
Brown anchored the defensive line for the great Miami teams of the mid-1980s.MORE IN Wire SportsDENVER — Next up for Peyton Manning: the NFL passing yardage record. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.