Retailers report slowing sales gains for FebruaryThe Associated Press | March 08,2013NEW YORK ó Americans cut back on spending in February as cold weather and economic challenges chilled their appetite for spring merchandise.
The nationís retailers on Thursday reported that sales slowed in February, a time when most stores get rid of winter merchandise and bring in swimsuits, ankle length pants and other spring fashions.
But Americans spent more judiciously during the month as they contended with an increase in the payroll tax of 2 percentage points, income tax refunds that came later than usual and rising gas prices.
Winter storms throughout much of the country in February also likely made spring merchandise less appealing to them.MORE IN National / World BusinessHow would you like to pay only $25 for a one-day lift ticket at Pico Mountain Resort? Full StoryMONTPELIER ó Itís December, winter is on the horizon and Vermontís snowmobile season is set to... Full StoryWASHINGTON ó Facing a standoff in the Senate, the top Democrats and Republicans on Congressí... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation